Amani Askari Toomer (born September 8, 1974) is a former American football wide receiver and punt returner who played his entire career for the New York Giants of the National Football League (NFL). He registered over 1,000 receiving yards each season from 1999 to 2003, was a member of the 2007 New York Giants that won Super Bowl XLII, and holds Giants' club records with 9,497 receiving yards, 668 receptions and 54 receiving touchdowns. He also returned 109 punts for 1,060 yards and three touchdowns. As a rookie in 1996, he led the NFL with an average of 16.6 yards on 18 punt returns.
Toomer played college football at the University of Michigan from 1992 to 1995. In 1994, he broke the school's single-season record with 1,096 receiving yards and was a finalist for the Biletnikoff Award and a first-team All-Big Ten honoree. Toomer finished his college career ranked second (now fourth) in Michigan history with 2,657 receiving yards.
Career Highlights and Awards
- Super Bowl champion (XLII)
- 2× NFC Champion (2000, 2007)
- New York Giants All-Time career leader (Receiving yards, Receptions, Receiving Touchdowns)
- New York Giants Ring of Honor
- USA Today High School All-American (1991)
- First-team All-Big Ten (1994)
- Second-team All-Big Ten (1995)